Reader comments are listed below. Comments are currently closed and new comments are no longer being accepted.
"DURING his first year as America’s president Donald Trump attempted to redefine what it means to be leader of the free world."
Well, in a way he did. Angela Merkel is clearly the leader of the free world now.
That's why Putin is trying so hard to get rid of her.
Criminal actions, Executive Branch since 1968:
Criminal Indictments: Repugs 120, Dems 3
Criminal Convictions: Repugs 89, Dems 1
Prison Sentences: Repugs 34, Dems 1
It would be good to see more analysis on how much Trump is responsible for all of this. I've read the following article, but it would be nice to see more by this publication.
So, in other words, a pretty good record for 1st year administration, when you look at actual numbers rather than silly tweets. One missing graph: number of Economist writers who would be praising Obama to the rooftops if he had a year like this last one. Let's make it easy: 100%.
Maybe TE should just pretend Trump is a devout Muslim. Then he could make firebreathing speeches about Jews and apostates and the Economist would brand him "refreshingly moderate".
Correct about the numbers...and wait 'til the tax cuts really kick in...
Democrats wonder why they are considered an abomination. Well, just look at the short list below to get a brief sampling of the misdeeds and overtly criminal enterprises by the Democrats. This short list only scratches the surface of the in-your-face, hypocritical, corruption by the Democrats who have moved so far to the fascist, socialist left that they do not represent true American values.
No patriotic American can ever compromise with this evil!
1. Operation Fast and Furious—Arming Mexican drug lords for a questionable purpose, with AG Holder the first of many to plead incompetence and gain a Contempt-Of-Congress charge to avoid nastier truths.
2. Solyndra—We never did get to the bottom of that $500 million taxpayer gift, did we?
3. Lois Lerner and the IRS—The second-best example of weaponizing a federal agency to go after political adversaries—was this ‘where it began’?
4. Benghazi—Progressives are tired of this one because it comes closest to their creed: human beings are expendable in the cause of political action. By the way, why was Obama/Hillary arming ISIS?
5. Clinton Global Initiative—Was this a one-stop shop to offer millions in trade for face time and favors? Finders fees in the extreme and a world class pay-to-play initiative?
6. Uranium One—A word like treason should rarely be used, but this is another example of the progressives’ hate for America going the limit. Is there anything progressives won’t do to take America down a few notches?
7. James Comey—His exoneration of The Criminal, Twerking-eyed, Hildabeast, The-Mother-Of-All-Lies, two months before completion of the so-called FBI investigation conducted by known politically conflicted civil servants is breathtaking in scope, isn’t it?
8. The Lynch-Clinton tarmac tete a tete—Whoever believes AG Lynch and Bill Clinton talked about grandchildren must believe Bill never preyed on Monica Lewinsky.
9. Sanctuary Cities/States—Who’d have thought we’d have whole American cities and states regularly, routinely, ritually flouting federal law—all thanks to an Obama strategy?
10. Planned Parenthood—How did the selling of infant body parts pass anyone’s aroma test for the right thing to do? Did Obama lift a finger to prevent those infants from being drawn and quartered—for profit?
11. Partial Birth Abortion – Only an evil, criminal mind would sanction such a hideous procedure.
12. Burwell v Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor—Just two of the cases where the Obama crowd used the Affordable Care Act to deny First Amendment religious rights to citizens. Should we have been surprised?
13. FISA warrant abuse—Perhaps worst of all, trusted organizations within our government were used to directly attack and interfere with an opponent’s presidential campaign. There is no limit to their criminal activities, is there?
The really disturbing part of this is the pretence, by the mainstream media, that Trump (and what he represents) is some kind of aberration in America. He may have become a literal embodiment of every repugnant human trait imaginable, but he's as American as apple pie. He didn't invent those who elected him: they elected him because they already existed. And he merely articulated their beliefs in ways that few other demagogues and bigots could. (Indeed, one of Trump's great successes has been to make many in his party e.g., Ryan, Rubio, Rand Paul, Carson, Pence etc appear "moderate".)
So perhaps in a twisted sense, Trump may have a point when he describes the mainstream media as purveyors of fake news, after all.
Brilliant set of Economist charts, well done. It is clear the USA is like a large ship, it takes years to move these charts and Trump cannot take any credit.
So nothings changed and youre saying the President does far less than we give them credit for and there are actually three equal branches of govt? wow, its like the news has been selling me garbage.